THE LAW OFFICE OF
JAMES R. MAKIN, P.C.
James Makin has over 40 + years experience
and has tried over 400 jury trials.
James Makin has over 40 years experience and has tried over 400 jury trials. He graduated from Lamar University, and was in the top 10% at the University of Puget Sound Law School, Tacoma, Washington in 1977. He is Board Certified in Criminal Law, and graduated from the National college for DUI Defense at Harvard University in 2005.
- 2014 – Kenneth W. Lewis Professionalism Award
- 1967 – Graduated Beaumont High School
- 1974 – BBA, Lamar University, Beaumont, Texas
- 1977 – Juris Doctorate, University of Puget Sound Law School, Tacoma, Washington
- 2005 – DUI College, Harvard University
- All State and Federal Courts in Texas
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals of the United States
- DWI / DUI
- Possession and Delivery of Controlled Substance
- Aggravated Assaults / Sexual Assaults
- All criminal matters
- Chairman of the Criminal Defense Attorneys Section, Jefferson County Bar Association (2006 – 2011)
- President of Southeast Texas Criminal Defense Attorneys (1994 – 2006)
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization Criminal law
- Director, Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- TX Criminal Defense Lawyer Association Strike Force District 13 (2005 – 2011)
- American Bar Association
- American College of Barristers
- State Bar of Texas
- Member of the State Bar of Texas standing committee on Pattern Jury Charges – Criminal (2011-2014)
- State Bar College
- The National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Jefferson County Bar Association
- Director 2013-2015, Jefferson County Bar Association
- National College For DUI Defense
- Certified NHTSA/IACP Standardized Field Sobriety Testing
- Lecturer on Cross-Examination at the Center for American and International Law seminar on Capital Trial Advocacy.
- Regular speaker at Lamar University for master’s degree class on Psychology regarding the role of the psychologist in criminal law.
- Mentor for other attorneys in jury selection and criminal defense.
- Featured panelist for a Death Penalty Open Forum Panel Discussion at Lamar University in Beaumont.
- Frequently contacted by local news stations and newspaper reporters to provide his professional opinion on matters of Criminal Law.
- State Bar Committee on Representation for Capital Defendants
- 2006 – Certified in standardized Field Sobriety Testing
- Member of the Better Business Bureau for 22+ Years
- Member Beaumont Chamber of Commerce 22+ Years
- Member Community Justice Council, Jefferson County
Voted “Best Attorney” for 10 consecutive years by the Beaumont Enterprise
- For sixteen years, James has donated his time dressed as Santa Claus for the Santa Run. Distributing toys and many hugs to an average of 120 needy children all over the Southeast Texas area two days before Christmas.
- Girl’s Haven and Boy’s Haven
- Lifetime Member of Beaumont 100 Club
- Lifetime Member of NAACP
- Grandfather of 10
- Oaks Historic District
- Neches River Festival
An attorney who is Board Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Criminal Law must have experience in the preparation and trial of serious criminal matters. The attorney must also have extensive knowledge of state and federal and constitutional law, evidence, procedure and penal laws involved in the trial of these matters.
James R. Makin, PC Attorney at Law Board Certified in Criminal Law Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
To become Board Certified in Criminal law and attorney must have
- Licensed to practice law for at least 40+ years
- Devoted a required percentage of practice to criminal law for at least 15+ years
- Handled a wide variety of criminal law matters to demonstrate experience in involvement;
- Attended criminal law education seminars regularly to keep legal training up to date;
- Been evaluated by fellow lawyers and judges;
- Passed a day long written examination
Initial certification is valid for a period of five years to remain certified, an attorney must apply for recertification every 5 years and meet practice, peer review, and continuing legal education requirements for the specialty field.
Lynda Kay Makin, James’ wife and the Legal Administrator of the office, is responsible for payment plans and invoicing. She has worked with James for over 28+ years.
JAZZ THE LAW DOG
We have been fortunate to have had three gentle Labs that love going to work every day and home with us every night. Having a dog in the office makes for a friendly and relaxed atmosphere and our clients are all glad to be welcomed by our four-legged staff member.
Erin is responsible for appointment scheduling, she has worked with the office for over 3 years, with over 15 years legal experience.